Monday, September 1, 2014

Getting Back To Normal

I feel like I'm finally getting there...back to normal that is.  It's been a really tough week as we transition into our new normal of having a child away at college.  Our Benjamin has been at UC Berkeley in California for a week now and he is LOVING it!  We knew he would, he was ready to be on his own and continue his studies. 
He has made a lot of new friends, has awesome roommates, explored the town, found his way to San Francisco on the BART system, done a little too much shopping, could use a little more sleep, and survived his first earthquake his very first night in his dorm!  Fortunately for us, he is an excellent communicator and has shared all this with us from afar.  Never in my life would I have ever thought I would be thanking the good Lord for Snapchat, Facetime and a cell phone! *Ü*
We are so proud of him.

 
The University Library
 
 
Parking for the Nobel Laureates on staff.

 
UC Berkeley Clock Tower
 
 
We got him all set up last Saturday, there are 3 of them in this little tiny dorm room, but somehow it seems to work.  After a full day of moving in and a last family dinner for a while, it was time to say goodbye.  I knew it was going to hard on my mama heart to let my baby go, but honestly, I didn't think it would be quite this hard! I think coming on the heels of losing both my parents so recently this was just the topper for me emotionally. I miss him terribly.
 
I'm happy to say things are looking up!  I've had a very productive week staying busy and focused which is good for you as I have lots of new things to share with you in the days to come from the new Holiday catalog! And, I'm also working on the newest edition of my 12 Days of Christmas that will start previewing October 1st.

 
In the meantime our Nicholas started his sophomore year this week,  full of AP and honors courses and he has been in the throws of homework already!  He misses Ben but has this cute twinkle in his eye when we mention he's an only child now.  He took Drivers Ed. this summer and now has his permit.  In January he will be able to take his drivers test and is looking SO forward to taking over his brother car!  {Insert evil brother laugh!}
 
I hope you are all off to a happy Monday!
 
Halloween Fun! Tutorial
 
 
 The step by step instructions and color picture tutorial for these Halloween Fun! projects will be e-mailed to you as a gift from me with a $35 or more order to my online store through September 30th.
See the Stampin' Up! 2014-15 Catalog  and when you are ready, please order HERE. 
Earn Free Stamps with Becky - print your copy!

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I had a very hard time, mentally, when my first child went off to University. We were so close. I miss the days of them being dependent on me. Glad you still have one at home; it will make things nice for you. Looking forward to seeing what your next set of projects are for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I cried for six months before my first son even left for college (two states and six hours away). Just when I had finally adjusted to "the new normal", he was home again for the summer! When our second son left it was a lot easier. You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky I can't imagine. My eldest has gone to university this year, but she is still living at home. Next year she is transferring to a country university so may stay over one or two nights a week. Nothing like what you are experiencing. I would miss her if she was gone for longer - she helps me so much (listening to me vent and helping with the other kids). As I type this she has gone to pick up my youngest (9) from dance class while I stay home with Ms 14 & her boyfriend and Mr 16 & his girlfriend. Life would certainly be different with out any one of them around. Hope you find a new balance soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your son is a communicator!!! Our son is a Sophmore at a college 4 hours away and hardly every calls...we do have face-time on Sundays but this mamma wants MORE! He blames soccer practices, games and studying but you can't tell me he doesn't have a free minute or two a day to text his mamma! I'm also glad that your son called after the quake...that would've made me a NERVOUS wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Your son had to have been an outstanding student to be accepted to UC Berkeley! Congrats to him and his proud parents - Go Bears!

    ReplyDelete